Opening Doors – Council to Homeless Persons (CHP)

The Victorian homelessness system is organised under what is called The Opening Doors Framework, also commonly referred to as ‘Opening Doors’. Speak to housing and support workers for advice on housing options, assistance to material aid, with applications for private and public housing and advocacy on behalf of consumers (for example, with Centrelink, the Department of Human Services or real estate agencies).
Initial Assessment and Planning (IAP) workers have access to what is called a resource register, where housing and support vacancies from specialist homelessness services are listed.
The IAP worker matches people with those vacancies. When doing so they prioritise people who have been assessed as most at risk.
Following this assessment they will address any housing crisis. IAPs have access to the Housing Establishment Fund (HEF) money which can be used to pay for emergency accommodation and sometimes rent in arrears or advance.
Business Phone Number
Other contact details
24 Hour Hotline 1800 825 955
Service Areas in the South East
City of Greater Dandenong, City of Casey, Cardinia Shire
Referral Type
Self referral or agency via telephone
Eligibility requirement
Those who are homeless or at risk of homelessness and require help